For Art, Animation, Manga, Entertainment
Deadline: September 2nd, 2014
The Japan Media Arts Festival is a comprehensive festival of Media Arts that honors outstanding works in the four main divisions:
• Art – Works of art created with new media and digital technologies. Interactive art, media installations, video works, graphic art (digital illustration, digital photography, computer graphics, etc), web-based works, media performances, etc.
• Entertainment – Works for entertainment created with digital technologies. Games (video games, online games, etc.), video works (music videos, advertising videos, special effects videos, etc.), gadgets, electronics, websites, application software, etc.
• Animation – Animated feature films, animated short films, animated series, etc.
• Manga – Comics published in book form, comics published in a magazine (including works still being serialized), comics published online (for computer or mobile), self-published comics, etc.
Works must be completed or released between September 13th, 2013 and September 2nd 2014. It is possible to submit a work that has been completed in the past but renewed or updated and freshly completed or released during this time frame.
While the number of entries made is unlimited, the same work may not be entered in multiple divisions. The entrant must hold the copyright to the submitted work. If the work is submitted by a representative, permission from the copyright holder must be obtained. The copyright to award-winning works remain with the entrant.
No entry fee.
Eligibility: Entries are accepted from across the globe from professional, amateur, independent and commercial sources.
Website link for more information: http://j-mediaarts.jp/?locale=en
About: The Japan Media Arts Festival is a comprehensive festival of Media Arts (=Media Geijutsu) that honors outstanding works from a diverse range of media- from animation and comics to media art and games. The festival gives awards in each of its four divisions: Art, Entertainment, Animation, and Manga. It also provides a platform for appreciation of the award-winning and other notable works. Since its inception in 1997, the festival has recognized significant works of high artistry and creativity, and in addition to a yearly Exhibition of Award-winning Works has held other events, such as symposiums, screenings, and showcases.
For each division, one Grand Prize, four Excellence Awards, and three New Face Awards will be awarded on the basis of artistic quality and creativity.
In addition, a Special Achievement Award will be awarded on the recommendation of the Jury to an individual or group who has made a special contribution to Media Arts in any of the four divisions.
• Grand Prize: Certificate, trophy, 600,000 Japanese Yen (approx. 6,100 USD)
• Excellence Award: Certificate, trophy, 300,000 Japanese Yen
• New Face Award: Certificate, trophy, 200,000 Japanese Yen
• Special Achievement Award: Certificate, trophy
• Other outstanding entries will be chosen by the Jury as Jury Selections