Deadline: 5pm on Monday 2nd June 2014
Provisional interview dates: 17th / 18th June
Cubitt is an artist-led visual arts organisation in Islington, London. Comprising 30 studios, an internationally recognised contemporary art gallery and a large-scale education programme, Cubitt has an extraordinary artistic history and is home to a vibrant community of practicing artists: cubittartists.org.uk.
Cubitt Education is one of the UK’s most innovative visual arts education programmes. Our work is renowned for a range of challenging and impactful projects in the local area of Islington that engage older people, children and young people, individuals with mental health problems and the wider community.
Cubitt Education is run by a lively and experienced team of four staff and 15+ freelance Artist Educators. We have an inclusive and supportive working culture that encourages innovation through collaboration with schools, teachers, voluntary groups, the local authority and other partners. In the past seven years, since the programme began, we have launched a number of groundbreaking initiatives:
- Cubitt Young Artists: a skills-based mentoring programme for local young people from disadvantaged backgrounds
- Community Studios: artists’ studios in community centres and care homes, that are home to resident artists in return for a voluntary programme of workshops
- Public Wisdom: a programme connecting older people with the public realm through creative activities, performances, public art, and planning consultations
- After School Clubs and curriculum projects in local primary and secondary schools
- The Spring Ball: an annual contemporary tea dance led by and for older people, featuring a Cake Museum, live life drawing, and a specially commissioned multimedia performance each year
- The Cubitt School for Artist Educators: a training programme for artists to gain skills in education and community settings
Due to the growth of our research and increase demand for us to share the learning from our work, we are dividing the current full-time post of Education Director into two part-time roles. The two post-holders will work together on the development of the vision of the programme and fundraising, in collaboration with staff, Board and partners, alongside undertaking responsibility for specific aspects of the programme:
- Education Co-Director, Programme Delivery: the main focus will be supporting and developing local projects; managing and overseeing programme delivery; developing local partnerships
- Education Co-Director, Research and Strategy: the main focus will be research; strategy; and sharing our work through regional and national partnerships.
We are seeking an experienced individual to take on the role of Education Co-Director: Programme Delivery. This is a unique opportunity to become directly involved in leading the consolidation and development of a major education programme, as part of a dynamic and committed team.
Visit our website to apply: http://cubittartists.org.uk/about/opportunities/